IPBES was created to strengthen the science-policy interface on issues related to biodiversity and ecosystem services through its four functions to:
- identify and prioritize key scientific information needed for policymakers on appropriate scales and to catalyze efforts to generate new knowledge;
- perform regular and timely assessments of knowledge on biodiversity and ecosystem services and their inter-linkages;
- support policy formulation and implementation by identifying policy-relevant tools and methodologies to enable decision makers to gain access to those tools and methodologies and where necessary, to promote and catalyze their further development;
- prioritize key capacity-building needs to improve the science-policy interface at appropriate levels.
The IAI Directorate and its network of scientists in the Americas collaborate with IPBES by providing knowledge from its research networks, supporting research capacity-building and promoting a policy-science interface in member countries. The IAI has nominated scientists from its networks to IPBES regional and sub-regional assessments.
- IAI a partner of BES-Net
BES-Net (www.besnet.world) is a capacity building “network of networks” that promotes dialogue among science, policy and practice for more effective management of biodiversity and ecosystems, contributing to long-term human well-being and sustainable development.
- Thematic Assessment on Pollination and Pollinators Associated with Food Production
“In early 2014, I was nominated by IAI to participate in the first author meeting of the Thematic Assessment on Pollination and Pollinators Associated with Food Production, organized by the Intergovernmental Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES). The meeting took place in Siegburg, Germany, in June 2014. Until that moment, I had limited information […]
- IPBES 3: Regional assessments and Call for nomination of experts
The Chair of IPBES has called for nominations for experts for: 1) the regional and sub-regional assessment of biodiversity and ecosystem services (Deliverable 2b); 2) the thematic assessment of land degradation and restoration (Deliverable 3bi); 3) the scoping for a global assessment of biodiversity and ecosystem services.
- IPBES 2: Biodiversity & Ecosystem Services
IPBES Plenary (IPBES-2) held from 9 to 14 December 2013 in Antalya, Turkey