The IAI’s Science Advisory Committee (SAC) and the Science-Policy Committee (SPAC) are composed of the region’s leading scientists and policy experts, who currently represent 12 IAI member countries. These advisory bodies guide the research and capacity-building initiatives of the Directorate, providing critical input to improve evidence-based decision-making on global change in the Americas. Their diverse composition and competencies in the natural and social sciences, and science-policy interface, contribute to the implementation of the IAI’s strategic plan and science agenda.
Among the most relevant undertakings of the SAC and SPAC during the 2021-2022 intercessional period are the following:
- Revising the scientific agenda of the IAI to incorporate the language used by the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) related to "Indigenous Peoples and Local Communities (IPLCs)".
- Reviewing team applications for two consultancies aimed at developing training materials in Transdisciplinary Science and Science Diplomacy for Global Environmental Change, which will be ready in 2023.
- Collectively discussing and revising the new Gender, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Policy for IAI Scientific Projects and Capacity Building Activities.
- Contributing to the regional assessment led by the IAI to acknowledge the priorities of governments to better serve the member countries.
- Defining regional research priorities on the nexus among climate, environment and health, and advising in the design of Climate, Environment and Health for the Americas - Mobilizing transdisciplinary knowledge and training for policy action, in collaboration with the Pan American Health Organization and the Global Consortium on Climate and Health Education.
For more information about the IAI’s advisory committee, you may consult the complete report here: https://www.iai.int/administrador/assets/images/ckfinder/files/IAI-CoP-30-8-en.pdf.